Liver elastography: A “virtual” liver biopsy
Non-invasive liver assessment made simple
While a liver biopsy is considered the gold standard for diagnosing liver fibrosis and cirrhosis, it is an invasive procedure with potential risks for your patient. Additionally, it only provides a small tissue sample, which can impact accuracy.
Rhode Island Medical Imaging is the only outpatient imaging center offering shear wave ultrasound elastography - a non-invasive procedure for assessing liver fibrosis. It provides a “virtual biopsy” by using stiffness measurements to stage liver disease. It turns an invasive, painful, and expensive procedure into a simple, painless one, making it easier to monitor your patient.
Patient benefits of liver elastography:
• Non invasive
• No risk of complications
• Less expensive and faster than a biopsy
• Can be repeated as necessary
Referring physician benefits of liver elastography:
• Provides a Metavir score to quantitatively grade liver fibrosis
• Serial examinations can monitor disease progression and treatment efficacy
• Samples a wide area of the liver
• Liver cancer screening and vascular evaluation can be performed at the same time
• Improved patient compliance
Patient profile and preparation:
• Any patient who has been diagnosed with any known liver disease
• Patient must be NPO for 6 hours
For more information call us at 401.432.2400.