Virtual Colonoscopy (CTC)
Colorectal cancer is the second leading cancer killer in the U.S. If everyone over 50 years of age was regularly screened, as many as 80% of these deaths could be prevented. Unfortunately, many patients avoid regular screenings because of sedation concerns, the invasive nature, or the length of time associated with colonoscopy.
One available option is CT Colonography (CTC), also known as Virtual Colonoscopy. CTC is a screening study comprised of 2D and 3D images of the colon which a radiologist reads to detect polyps or cancer. This technique is less invasive than standard colonoscopy and provides other benefits as well:
- There are no risks from sedation or anesthesia
- You do not need a separate driver for after the exam
- You can immediately resume normal activity after the exam
- The CT scan for a virtual colonoscopy can be done in as little as 10 minutes
- There is a decreased risk of bleeding and infection as compared to a regular colonoscopy