Non-invasive liver assessment made simple
While a liver biopsy is considered the gold standard for diagnosing liver fibrosis and cirrhosis, it is an invasive procedure with potential risks for your patient. And it only provides a small tissue sample, which can impact accuracy.
Rhode Island Medical Imaging is the only out-patient imaging center offering shear wave ultrasound elastography – a non-invasive procedure for assessing liver fibrosis. It provides a “virtual biopsy” by using stiffness measurements to stage liver disease. It turns an invasive, painful, and expensive procedure into a simple, painless one, making it easier to monitor your patient.
Patient benefits of liver elastography
- Non invasive
- No risk of complications
- Less expensive and faster than a biopsy
- Can be repeated as necessary
Referring physician benefits of liver elastography
- Provides a Metavir score to quantitatively grade liver fibrosis
- Serial examinations can monitor disease progression and treatment efficacy
- Samples a wide area of the liver
- Liver cancer screening and vascular evaluation can be performed at the same time
- Improved patient compliance
Patient profile and preparation
- Any patient who has been diagnosed with any known liver disease
- Patient must fast for 6 hours before procedure
For more information please go to www.rimirad.com or call us at 401.432.2400.